Post: #1
11-15-201210:34 PM
With the release of 1.4.4, I'm sure most of you went ahead and updated only to find you can no longer join Darkspin. The only option at this moment is to roll back to the 1.4.2 jar. I would be more than happy to provide it for you right here in a convenient link but that would be illegal =/
I thought I should run a poll so we can decide as a community whether to update now or to wait till Bukkit releases their first 1.4.4 R1.0 (Recommended Build). But before you vote, it is important to read my paragraphs below... Please don't just vote because you eagerly want to play on the server right at this very moment.
With every Minecraft Update, every server owner has the task of eyeballing the development page of every single plugin they have installed, for weeks on end. For a server to keep alive, it must have someone take up this task. The first problem with every Minecraft Update is Bukkit can take a few days before they release their first build; a dev build.
A dev build, or Development Build is the first build Bukkit releases publicly via http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/
The Bukkit team stresses that we never use the dev builds on our servers unless for testing as they can result in plugin clashes leading to all sorts of mayham.. usually they don't. The biggest issue I've had, is the inventory bug that occurred recently. Fortunately though, a few dev builds later, fixed the issue and people had their stuff back.
Technically, the smartest thing to do during an update, is wait for the Recommended Build to be released... but that can take weeks and the biggest problem with that is losing players.
Not long after Mojang released 1.4.2, they announced 1.4.3 would be just around the corner as 1.4.2 turned out to have many bugs they wanted to fix immediately. But 1.4.3 resulted in even more problems and was postponed till 1.4.4.
Now, I'm confident Bukkit won't take very long to released the first 1.4.4 Recommended Build... but if another 3 days pass and they still only have devs for us, I will update despite the poll results. Devs aren't nearly as bad that far ahead anyway.. The only real dodgy ones are the first 24-48 hour builds.
And a side note, we need builders for Asyr. I'm thinking of writing up an application for this. You'll get Mason on Asyr only and you'll each be given a designated area to build in.
Sorry for the long read... I'm notorious for large posts =S
I thought I should run a poll so we can decide as a community whether to update now or to wait till Bukkit releases their first 1.4.4 R1.0 (Recommended Build). But before you vote, it is important to read my paragraphs below... Please don't just vote because you eagerly want to play on the server right at this very moment.
With every Minecraft Update, every server owner has the task of eyeballing the development page of every single plugin they have installed, for weeks on end. For a server to keep alive, it must have someone take up this task. The first problem with every Minecraft Update is Bukkit can take a few days before they release their first build; a dev build.
A dev build, or Development Build is the first build Bukkit releases publicly via http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/
The Bukkit team stresses that we never use the dev builds on our servers unless for testing as they can result in plugin clashes leading to all sorts of mayham.. usually they don't. The biggest issue I've had, is the inventory bug that occurred recently. Fortunately though, a few dev builds later, fixed the issue and people had their stuff back.
Technically, the smartest thing to do during an update, is wait for the Recommended Build to be released... but that can take weeks and the biggest problem with that is losing players.
Not long after Mojang released 1.4.2, they announced 1.4.3 would be just around the corner as 1.4.2 turned out to have many bugs they wanted to fix immediately. But 1.4.3 resulted in even more problems and was postponed till 1.4.4.
Now, I'm confident Bukkit won't take very long to released the first 1.4.4 Recommended Build... but if another 3 days pass and they still only have devs for us, I will update despite the poll results. Devs aren't nearly as bad that far ahead anyway.. The only real dodgy ones are the first 24-48 hour builds.
And a side note, we need builders for Asyr. I'm thinking of writing up an application for this. You'll get Mason on Asyr only and you'll each be given a designated area to build in.
Sorry for the long read... I'm notorious for large posts =S
