The future of Minecraft.
Post: #1
Hello folks,
As some of the more informed of you will know, there has been quite a stir within various aspects of the Minecraft/CraftBukkit community over the past month or two. I'll break it down a 'lil.

1 -- Minecraft EULA changes.
This may not affect much of the playerbase, but a short time ago Mojang announced that they are going to make a modification to the EULA whereby players in any server are not allowed to get any in-game advantages (Perks) over other players by giving server owners/operators real money. We have to comply with this EULA, I don't want myself/DS getting into trouble lel.

2 -- UUID's.
I've probably complained to you about this change at some stage. read about it, too dead to type (Basically means re-writing all databases and hoping that all our plugins will decide to become compatible with UUID's.)

3 -- Mojang/Bukkit getting pissed off at Spigot (Or something?!?!)
This one's slightly more complex, I still don't really understand how this is going down. For those who don't know -- Spigot is basically the core of our server; The server wouldn't work without it. While I fully understand that bukkit is an alternative, Spigot is 'better'... But I won't go into detail. For whatever reason, an ex disgruntled Bukkit developer decided to say to Bukkit/Spigot "Hurr Durr, you're using some of my code; I DMCA You".
For those who don't know what 'DMCA' means, have a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act
You can also read in more detail about the notice thing on Spigot's site:
http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/dmcad.28536/
Yeah... Not good.
So what does this mean? I'm still not 100% sure. The good people at Spigot have tried a workaround by making the update system NOT use any copyrighted code, but have made it completely different to update spigot in the process which is something that DS and myself will have to work on. Because:
http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/our-dmca-response.28772/
As the thread points out though, it ain't the end of the world... At least at this stage. I can't be all that specific or w/e because it's all very murky.

4 -- Microsoft's acquisition of Mojang.
Well uh, I don't know how this one will pan out either. MS purchased Mojang for 2.5bil today. We'll have to see what changes they make, if the game goes to shit or if it gets better. No one has any idea because of how recent the purchase was. Google it if you want.

TL;DR
So yeah, a lot of changes going on at the moment. I'm going to try my hardest to keep the server running with what we have at the moment but I'll have to come up with a plan of action I guess on how we tackle this if everything turns to shit. Don't get too worried though, I'm not saying the end is near, it just might mean that some big changes might have to take place to keep us afloat. If something doesn't make any sense in here, let me know and I'll do my best to clarify/fix it.

ty


[Image: ]

  Reply


Messages In This Thread
The future of Minecraft. - by StorAxis - 09-16-201404:46 PM
RE: The future of Minecraft. - by Hadongee - 09-16-201404:55 PM,
RE: The future of Minecraft. - by B e y t u - 09-17-201404:18 AM,
RE: The future of Minecraft. - by mikeluigi64 - 09-17-201412:58 PM,
RE: The future of Minecraft. - by iRzPWNzrRBLX - 09-18-201412:02 AM,

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)