Of my Clear Inability to Moderate.
Post: #1
Look, I know some of you may not agree with this, but in all actuality, it's the truth. I do not deserve the ability to permaban people. When I'm stressed, I ignore my code of morals and ban people simply because I think they're hacking. I banned 9f yesterday for what appeared to be flying over the stairs of the Admin Shop and going through a pillar. BlackMajor and Mikey saw me do it—and they both told me it was actually lag. I was wrong. Despite me pardoning this person afterwards, he/she still didn't come back on. I made yet another user leave our wonderful server.

This has happened a few times in the past. I banned a user once (CaptainBlockz) for speed hacking, but I am sure now that I had mistaken this for lag. Now, sure, I had tempbanned this particular user for griefing a couple weeks before this incident, but the fact remains: I have abused my ban abilities. And there's more cases of this fatality of mine, I'm sure.

So, after heated thinking, I have come to a conclusion. Until I can distinguish between hacking and a simple bug, I need to have my permabanning abilities revoked. Even were moderators to get access to see NoCheat errors, the problem would still remain that I am a weak moderator: I have also [i]un[/i]banned many users without consulting other Staff. [hr]
also tempbanning is screwed up. bans players for 10x longer than the original tempban.

“What passes for hip cynical transcendence of sentiment is really some kind of fear of being really human, since to be really human [...] is probably to be unavoidably sentimental and naïve and goo-prone and generally pathetic.” --David Foster Wallace, [i]Infinite Jest[/i]
  Reply
Post: #2
First you say you ban nobody and don't think you're worthy of being Moderator.
Then you say you ban too many people and don't think you're worthy for Moderator.

There's this amazing thing called '/kick', it allows one to literally 'kick' a player from the sever and let them rejoin as they please.

oh
[Image: ]
[Image: ]
  Reply
Post: #3
I uh... I uh... Wat... Just ban people for griefing, and leave it to other to determine if one is hacking.
  Reply
Post: #4
It's not that simple. Anybody who comes on this server to hack likely has nodus. I'm on when other's aren't on, and when I leave, they could fuck e'rrything up with nuker.

“What passes for hip cynical transcendence of sentiment is really some kind of fear of being really human, since to be really human [...] is probably to be unavoidably sentimental and naïve and goo-prone and generally pathetic.” --David Foster Wallace, [i]Infinite Jest[/i]
  Reply
Post: #5
Uh, no they can't. NCP prevents that, and if they're SERIOUSLY hacking, it will autokick them.
  Reply
Post: #6
You realise NCP doesn't just notify you of illegal actions right? It also forces players to follow legal actions (which can be very annoying when the server is lagging, as NCP starts getting derpy).
  Reply
Post: #7
Yeah, Viper shud add the nocheat notifications to moderator rank... Even then its hard distinguishing what is the real hack and what is lag and/or glitch.
  Reply
Post: #8
I don't want to add NCP notifications to MOD as I seriously doubt we'd be able to convince every mod that 90& of the messages are due to lag and especially while we're still cleaning out lag.

NCP pretty much eliminates most hacking. We ban for hacking mainly when we discover someone has taken advantage of an exploit.

Thank you for being honest... reading that did worry me, to be completely honest. The point is, you understand.. just stop doing it.
  Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)